- Name: Geneviève Elisabeta Spettro
- Aliases: Spectrum
- Age: 17 (October 13th, Libra)
- Height: 5'7"
- Weight: undisclosed (@140lbs)
- Eyes: Hazel (grey-green)
- Hair: White, dyed Black
- Nationality: Italian-American
- Hometown: Chicago, IL
- Marital: Single
- Relatives: Father:Victor A. Mother: Sanders, Lucy aka Amaranth
- Powers: Light Spectrum Control
Geneviève is smart, young, and pretty; a fairly typical teenager. As the daughter of an attorney, she is well-versed in law, and researching various topics. She has a laptop with Westlaw access and court programs granted to her through her father. This allows her to research myriad legal cases, as well as research anyone that has a criminal background. She has also spent a lot of time with her father’s best friend, a Personal Investigator named Phillip Jackson, or “Uncle Phil”. This is where she picked up her process investigation techniques, and lockpicking skills.
Gen has also spent a lot of time thinking through her powers, and their limitations. After her kidnapping, she threw herself back into those studies, suspecting then and knowing now that without ambient light to draw upon and store, she would be effectively powerless, she planned to never be caught helpless again. Gen has begun studying various martial arts to make up for her slight build. The training, she figures, will also help her retain her analytical mind so she will be less likely to panic and be caught unawares again. She is already an accomplished fencer, owing to many hours of family bonding and the settling of a few disputes with her father, a fencing wizard.
Geneviève started life in tragedy, her mother dying in childbirth. Her father has raised her by himself, trying his best to both raise a successful law firm and a young girl who would have a strong sense of justice.
Gen grew to a fairly privileged life, her father’s hard work quickly paying off. She was quite popular in school, though occasionally a bit overcritical of her peers, knowing more then they did about potential ramifications in society. Just 15 years old, she attended a party at a certain rich kid’s home. Gen knew this kid was dealing drugs, and was curious to find out where he was getting them. Slipping away from the main party, she had the opportunity to test the lockpicking skills she’d honed both in working with her father’s police connections and in getting into stuff her father didn’t wish her to. Inside the father’s study, she not only found a wall safe containing a good haul of various street drugs, but enough paperwork to reveal to her trained eye that the man was trafficking drugs as a runner for The Crime Lords! About this time, she heard steps coming down the hallway. Knowing there was but this one destination down this hall, she quickly closed the safe and repositioned the painting in front of it. Right at that time, the door opened.
Gen reacted instinctively, taking a deep breath and dropping to the floor. Knowing she was in a helpless position, she closed her eyes and hoped for the best. When no one said anything, despite the noise of someone moving around the room, she opened her eyes… and saw nothing, only a distorted white haze. Everything beyond it was blurry! The figure moved back out of the room, closing the door behind it. Finally letting out the breath she’d been holding, the world around her gradually came back into focus. Surprised at the revelation that know one saw her, she also then realized she was on the floor, only a few feet down the wall from the safe, and in plain sight! Well, apparently not in plain sight…. She quickly made her exit, and slipped away from the party. She had a lot on her mind on the way home.
A year passed, during which Gen explored the details of that evening further, and revealed even more talents. She found she could emanate an aura of while brilliant white light, and focus light into beams of various colors and intensities. After some further research into the properties of light, she could heat Hot Pockets with ease. She also found that she could create mirages, or light illusions, of anything she had enough familiarity with. She couldn’t generate sound however, and thinking the application had its limits then, started practicing ventriloquism.
All this research left her fairly withdrawn from her normal social circles, and when you stop being rich and popular, they don’t let you forget it. She became an outcast, which suited her just fine. She put a lot of her time into art classes, where she would study forms and actions to better polish her powers. It was there that she met her first Goth, and then that she decided the life of those who lived with such an artistic embrace may suit her. It also brought her into dark clubs and another drug scene that revolved around music. Her innate sense of justice found this fitting, as it allowed her to keep quiet tabs on the possible up-and-comers. Her best friend at this time was dating the singer for a local band, who was having problems getting gigs. Feeling bad, since the guy was actually good hearted, Gen snuck behind the stage on night and put on a bit of a lightshow, generating colors based on how she felt the songs. This went on a few nights, and the band became ever more popular. Questions were asked, but with her light bending, Gen made sure no one ever saw her. The naïve guys in the band began to think they had a spirit watching over them. Unfortunately, this wasn’t to last. Another guy in the band had the presence of mind to make the connection between the singer and his girlfriend… and her mysterious friend. Rather then ask questions directly, he figured the knowledge would make him more money. It did, and the broker happened to work for The Crime Lords, who were then kidnapping test subjects to help recruiting. They caught Gen exiting out the back alley after a show, captured her and took her to a holding cell in an abandoned warehouse. Finally left alone in total darkness, Gen regained wits enough to try and escape. The steel door didn’t have any lock, so Gen started burning her way through with an intense laser beam. However, a problem she had considered but had been to afraid to try came to pass: the beam cost too much to generate, and without any ambient light, her laser sputtered and died halfway though. She was trapped, and powerless.
Two days passed. Late on the second night, her cell door was thrown open, and she was blinded by the flashlights shown upon her. A SWAT team had come to shake down the warehouse for drug and slave trafficking, and rescued Gen from what they thought was a life of slavery. It probably was, of a different sort, however that wouldn’t be known. Gen’s father, Victor, prosecuted the case personally. They were only able to get the warehouse owner and a few others on small charges though; everyone else further up the chain were being sponsored by the Crime Lords, placed before a crooked judge, and never saw a courtroom. Victor took this as a major failing; though he was more than grateful his daughter survived. He vowed, to himself and to her that they would answer for their crimes.
That same evening, Victor and Geneviève had a long talk. She revealed her powers to her astonished father, and explained how she had gotten into trouble in the first place, following her own sense of justice. Of course Victor was quite proud in his daughters chosen path, but horrified that she had made herself into a target he couldn’t possibly protect. Victor researched and made good use of his connections, finding a place that could help his only child better than he could. The week before her 17th birthday, he told Gen of his plans to place her in the care of the Academy. She wasn’t pleased at all about the prospect of leaving home, but knew in her heart that he was making the best decision he thought possible. With some reluctance, she spent her birthday packing and making her few farewells. In a tearfully short goodbye, she left the only home she had ever known.
- Light Storage - A considered source of Gen's powers comes from her ability to absorb light. Commonly this is sunlight, and Gen wears heavy black clothes, including trench coats, in otherwise sunny afternoons. This is because she does not totally control her absorption, it just passively happens, and she can't turn it off. If her skin is exposed over long periods of time, her skin will take on a progressively whiter hue, as the light she has seeks to escape its host. Gen finds this deeply embarrassing and tries to hide it however she can, even resorting to gloves on her hands. Her normal storage allows her fairly long term usage of her abilities, though her limit has been seen as two days in total darkness before not having enough energy to power any ability. Obviously, Gen tries her best for this not to happen, and prepares well beforehand.
A strange side effect of this is that, like photosynthesis, the light gives her body energy, leaving her to only need to eat once a week and having to sleep only every few days. Her eyes are usually somewhat bloodshot, though she does try to keep eyedrops handy.
- Light Spectrum Control - Generation, Absorption, and Emission of light in various colors and intensities, from microwaves to gamma rays, etc. This can be generated in thin beams from her fingertips, to more full blasts from her fists, and possibly a radius attack if she discharged from her full body. Also includes Blinding Flashes. (think camera)
- Light Bending – effectively leaving her invisible to normal sight. (Not effective against super senses not derived from sight or the blind.)
- Holograms – An advanced bending of light, Gen can create mirages to fool her foes. Limitations the same as light bending, and though she can make the images move if needed, they themselves cannot generate sound. Gen is practicing her ventriloquism to make this power more useful.
- Light Dispersion - Gen can disperse her human form into light particles, which follow the same rules as normal light barring the obvious. She can use this to pass through non-opaque objects like glass, and can move fairly quickly. However, she's currently uncomfortable with the ability and tends to save it for a last resort escape. She is visible in this form as a bunch of sparkling lights while moving, though if she concentrates she can slow down and appear as a light beam with flecks of dust moving within.
- Nightvision - By amplifying ambient light, Gen can see in the dark and help others to. She can also do this with more subtlety, and emit light from her eyes, though this does feed on her stored power. She rarely does this in front of others, as her eyes glow pupil-less white, which she thinks is kinda creepy. If she's hiding at the time, she'll bend the light around her to eliminate the effect. This also gives her a 360 degree arc of perception. (Sight based)
- As her name implies, all of Gen's power's can be colored to her liking, but generally the intensity of the light being projected will color it in combat situations. (within human perception) Generally Gen projects pure white light with no color. Aside from her array of abilities, Geneviève is otherwise human, and can be killed by mundane weapons and trauma.
- Achluophobia - while not truly afraid of the dark, darkness does dampen her powers (and affect her emotional state, leaving her progressively more apathetic) and as such she will actively try to avoid any encounters with total darkness. She is also constantly suspicious of other metahumans with the ability to control darkness and shadows, (such as Jeanne Rose Dumont) and never trusts any such person completely as they represent to her a living bane.
- Aphephobia - Genevieve also suffers a fear of being touched, and dislikes others touching her at all. Generally this means she is cold and standoff-ish, tending to keep her hands in her pockets and stand a few steps away from others. This fear may be overcome with time and trust, but it is unlikely.
- Otherwise basically human, and can be killed by mundane weapons and trauma.
Gen carries a small set of lockpicks, and a few bobby pins hidden in her hair. Her Goth sensibilities also extend to practicality; the trenchcoat she wears carries any number of suitable objects for whatever situation she can anticipate. She has many glow sticks secreted upon her person for emergencies, and carries her father’s Zippo lighter, which he gave to her after their talk. He has promised to quit smoking while she carries it, because if she has it she’s essentially as safe as he can make her, and he can worry less. He considered that more then fair. She also has a length of rope, a small flashlight, and a pen and notepad. She may also carry her pocket PC if she’s going information gathering, and she has a flare gun she carries on a whim. She figures it beats a normal gun, since it can be offensive, a distraction, a signal, and a source of energy should she need it. She's been known to carry a Powershot G-10 when the mood strikes her.
Sheathed behind the small of her back or along her right thigh in a special sheath is a rapier, which she uses in an improvised fencing style. She tends to carry a German wire-hilt rather then the Spanish bell guard she was trained with. The wire-hilt is polished to a mirror sheen, and Gen uses that to her advantage in sword combat, sending a burst of light through her hand when she thrusts. The bell guard was just holding her back after that she thought, and never went back. That sword is at her father's house in Chicago.
She’s not much for jewelry, only tending to wear a watch on a thick wristband (with a backlight, of course) and a crystal pendant that was her mother's.
- Alexandria Winston-Slater - Beautiful girl, overachieving and high energy.
- Giga Volt - Useful if you are very, very careful with your words.
- Jackson Dunmar II - Resident fuzzball and ice cream consumer.
- Jacob Kaldr - Awkward in social scenarios, confident when it counts, and my new personal jeweler.
- Kyrie Aelesion - Canny and fierce at turns, probably the most underestimated of the class.
- Lily Woodruff - Sweet enough to die for, and you would never regret it.
- Maerik Marson - That mageling, always in trouble and never at fault.
- Ronald Richards - Diplomatic Relations are confidential, sorry.
- Spencer Smith - Bright kid getting better with practice.
- Donny Vargas - Professional and well-informed, I almost envy his resources.
- Erik Lancer - Quiet and reserved, probably an action junkie.
- Leah Robins - Amusing and Endearing, even if she will never recall it.
- Raine Synclair - Pretty bright and supportive of Swanson; look for this one to lead.
- Zachary Beckham - Strange kid, but Jack's son and quite gifted in his own way.
- Carl Lennox - Poor kid, he's one of the few that will actually die a hero. (Deceased)
- Rio de Vasquez - Insufferable and indispensable but missing in action.
- Victoria Velsing - Wild girl with a wild left hook.
Gen happens to also be a closet anime fan, and has a lot of interest in the art style, though little talent at drawing it. Her all time favorites include Princess Mononoke, Akira, and Ergo Proxy, from which she steals inspiration in clothing from at the moment. She has a Re-l outfit at home she pieced together, and though she has outfits with similar styles, doesn't wear the outfit on purpose. I mean, that's just too weird, right? Yeah. Cosplayers are nerds.
Recently she's been drawing a star pattern around her left eye in black eyeliner. Its shape and extensions vary a bit each time, but she generally does them well enough they could last a day or two in design till she tries another. (Since she rarely sleeps, thanks to her storing of energy.)
"You'd think a place like this would have better security. Pssh. Whatever." - ''upon entering the ACADEMY by….. opening the front door''. (Issue #2)
"Maybe others have a flair for the dramatic. I have no need of extra, ''unwanted'', attention." With no response quickly forthcoming, and no real desire to start or continue a conversation, Gen let her eyes roam over the boys one final time, then dropped her attention back to her desk. Oddly, it seemed like she still hadn't blinked the whole time…
JR looks at her intently at he dark clothes and eyeliner, trying to remember something about what he read in his research, in one of those insufferable "teen magazines" he forced himself through. Suddenly he figure it out and snaps. "Oh wait I know. You are one of those Elmo people aren't you? HI, Gen, I'm JR ." JR smiles, obviously proud of himself, and flashes his best winning smile. (Issue #2)
"''Meglio un giorno da leone che cento da pecora''." or 'Better one day as a lion than a hundred as a sheep.' (Issue #2)
((Stupid Spectral is a psycho genius.)) - Supacaster (Maerik) Champions Forums
"Out of the Darkness, and into the Light." - motto
- Alexandria Winston-Slater - "She's alright. Dunno what she sees in Maerik. She had a crazy sister or something right? That was before I got here, I don't have much info yet."
- Ronald Richards - "Oh yeah, Maerik's buddy. Cool guy like him. He's a Prince too, ya know that? Yeah that would be a pain in the ass I'd imagine."
- Giga Volt - "That tin can? He hates us 'meatbags' and can't stop insulting us at every turn. Sure, he's good in a fight, when he's not getting his arms ripped off."
- Maerik Marson - *she sighs a bit, then furrows her brow in concentration* "I'll say this once. Yeah, he's okay. If he's gonna be leading us or what ever, I guess we could do worse. But there's just so much not to like about the guy. Whatever. Better him then me."
- Kyrie Aelesion - "Hehe, that girl cracks me up. I dunno where she comes up with half the stuff that comes out of her mouth, but she's a strange one. Speaks her mind, I'll give her that."
- Spencer Smith - "Yeah, can't have Lana without Spence. He's dead, did ya know? Must be nice to have that outta the way already. Cool guy, works well with me. One of the "Scream Team" as Rio so elegantly calls us."
Jason Roberts - *she lowers her gaze for a second* "Jason is…. special. I mean, yeah, there's a reason, but it's like, catch up already buddy. And that Elmo thing, don't get me started…"
Carl Lennox - "Guy's got serious issues. When he's functioning, he's great, but the rest of the time, kinda useless. And not very attentive."
Sarah Omnics - "She's pretty cool. Handy to have around. Pretty well-adjusted for the crap the gods gave her."
Brent Harris - "Rocky? He's a pretty cool guy. Level-headed." *puts a hand to her chin* "Far deeper thinker then you'd give him credit for. Probably a good leader, later on."
Alexander Lancaster - "Xander? He seems alright. He's got a whole broken home story from what I hear."
Cayla Kubert - "One of the new lizard kids. She's definitely the most outgoing of the bunch. Really good attitude, workin with what she's been given."
Severin Ravens - "Yeah, the Golden Boy or whatever. I haven't talked to him much. Seems harmless enough, and that gold aura thing he's got going has to be a good sign, right?"
Ezekiel Askari - "Ah, angel boy. Seems to have a good head, just needs a chance to shine."
Malana Perez - *Gen grins* "Oh, Lana. Geez, where to start? Guess I'll keep it simple. Pretty girl, fashionable to a fault, and very… competetive. She carries a torch for Spencer, though the two of them seem to have a fairly relaxed relationship when she ain't yankin his chain."
Luno Harper - "That guy? Hell, he thinks he owns us all or something, like we're his servants. Money can't buy happiness; nor manners, it seems."
Hoshea McTaggert - "Hosh? Yeah, he's another of the lizard trio. He's…" *she seems to think a moment* "a rather nervous one. Though he seems to be fine around people other then me. I can't imagine why…."
Quincy Kapernski - "That kid? He's a pipsqueak, but a friendly one. Got some crazy ears on him; you can always pick him out in a crowd with those headphones."
Ted Galange - "TJ, yeah. Pretty buff dude, you ever seen those legs of his? Crazy strong. He's got those two goofball… whatever they are. Spirits, I guess, following him around. Guess he's never lonely…"
Seven - "Seven." *Gen quirks an eyebrow* "He's kinda cool, ever see that movie Momento? No? Well, it's not important. He's kinda more like V for Vendetta. Some people experimented on him, and now he's an amnesiac. It's fun for a harmless laugh on occasion, but he's studying up, and a quick learner. One of our 'Scream Squad' or 'Spook Squad' or whatever Rio's calling us that day."
Jack Hunting - "The farm boy. Yeah, he's a strange one. Pretty smart, seems to find simple solutions to problems quickly. Probably just like back home. Heard if ya take him outta his suit, its bad news for all of us…"
Rio de Vasquez - "Rio huh? That guys a d**k. Cocky, arrogant, and always looking for trouble. There's always gotta be one at every school, doesn't there?"
Kevin Long - "Kev? He's pretty cool. Gotta say, being able to talk to the dead is pretty cool. Sure, it's just like practical skills or something, but…. just think of the knowledge you could gain!"
Ryouko - "The last of the lizard trio. Probably their leader or something, if they had one. He's practical to a fault, and doesn't seem to convey much emotion. A superb fighter, though. Must be like some kinda Buddist thing or somethin."
Logan Ravened - "That kid's odd, just off somehow. Definately not from around here. And did ya know he's like a neat freak to the point that he has a super power that keeps him clean? How strange!"
- Episode 1: First Weekend Off
First Appearance- Genevieve Spettro 11/06/08
Lost in Another World - Genevieve Spettro
- Episode 1: Pushing Forward Back 2
- Episode 2: Road Trips: Falling off the Shallow End
- Episode 4: In the Lab with the Death Ray
- Episode 6: Slumber Party
- Episode 9: You and Me / Us and Them
- Episode 11: No More Hero
- Episode 12: Academy Outreach Program
- Episode 13: Chez de la Salamadre guest appearance
- Episode 16: West Coast Academy Orientation
- Episode 17: Shadows Over the Academy
- Episode 19: Out for Blood
Notes about Gen's perspective in stories <wip>
Hair: White (usually dyed black or covered in an illusion while in public/working)
Eyes: White (usually with hazel contacts or covered in illusion around normal people)
As a Metahuman, Gen tested right out of the Academy for her license to investigate and adhered to the regulations human law had proposed to relegate metahumans who worked civilian cases. She went into private practice, following in her 'Uncle's' footsteps and becoming a private investigator. Though her father was slightly disappointed, he knew that if she didn't wish to be a lawyer, she'd be damn good at whatever she chose. At least she was still on the right side of the lines, and Genevieve proved that many times over, becoming very close with the Chicago Police Department and working with them on many occasions.
During one of her first cases, she found herself working alongside another privately hired investigator, a man who called himself ‘Calico’. He was ruggedly handsome, and his dusky skin and close cropped, short curly black hair confirmed what Gen had guessed. His name was a more polite form of mulatto, a person born to one white parent and one black. Initially not willing to trust him, Genevieve tried to ignore him while he tried to charm information out of her. Eventually she tired of the game, and late in the case asked if he’d quit hitting on her in exchange for information trading. He agreed, and even held up his end of the bargain as they saw the case through. Calico proved to be a man of no few talents, which piqued her interest, and he admitted he liked working with her as well as they played off each other’s strengths. With the case solved, both were leaving the scene to report it to the police when they stumbled across a long rectangular box, partially hidden in a wall that looked like it had been recently demolished.
What struck Gen as odd was the many rosaries and holy symbols laid about the box. She suspected something ominous lie within, and her research into the supernatural came back to her mind easily. Having dealt with Spencer Smith, a boy who was more dead then alive himself, Gen was confident was resided within could only be a trapped vampire. As she voiced her opinion, neither herself nor Calico were comfortable with leaving it to the human police force, so instead they decided to pack it up and take it with them before calling in the authorities to clean the scene.
Slipping the box into a sub-basement below her main offices, both her and Calico made their own preparations, confident that between them they could handle whatever came out of the box. And if they couldn’t, well… there were contingencies in place for that, too. After the holy items were removed, Gen stood ready to blast anything a short distance away, and Calico popped the box. Inside they did indeed find a human body, male, and of dark complexion. He didn’t awake right away, so they relaxed, and only several hours later did the creature stir, prompting them to reaffirm their guard. The man stepped casually out of the box, apparently aware that he might be destroyed, and instead of moving toward them, closed it and sat slowly on top. Only then did he speak, first in an old Spanish dialect both had trouble following. This was followed by something in Latin Gen didn’t quite catch, then something she’d never heard before, before she caught broken Italian and English phrases. As she spoke to him in return, he visibly relaxed, though Calico remained suspicious. She was able to make out his name, Cristos, and the fact that he’d been imprisoned for supposedly defying his master. His intentions seemed good, but Calico didn’t like it, and Gen wasn’t exactly the trusting type, so they decided to keep him on a short leash until he proved himself safe to be around. Cristos wasn’t exactly happy about the arrangement, but did conceded in order to prove his intentions, and conceded again later when Gen made him wear an anklet similar to those used for felons on house arrest.
After a few months, Cristos was brought up to speed on everything that had changed in the mortal realm, and he revealed many of his own secrets, and a fair bit of history, to his new ‘friends’. He was indeed, a traditional vampire, and free of his master’s control, so he assumed the master was dead. He didn’t elaborate, but did concede that he was old enough to remember the reign of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, but yet young enough to not come into his full powers. Gen doubted this, but she had made it her problem, so her and Calico took it upon themselves to watch over him. In order to provide a cover story for the group, Genevieve did something she’d thought about for a long time.
With her metahuman status, previous public identity as Spectrum, and popularity with local police and media for coming in and helping solve numerous challenging cases, Genevieve had no trouble finally opening Spettro Consulting and Investigations, a detective agency in the spirit of the old Pinkerton Agency. Now able to pick and choose between cases, and delegate them to others, she finally started to relax. The money was rolling in, her operatives, both human and metahuman, were on cases around the clock, and she was satisfied she was finally doing her best to help her hometown.
Two more years have passed since that time, and Genvieve continues to be a local hero among the groups that know of her. With Calico generally by her side, and Cristos available after dark, they’ve been doing their best to help keep the streets safe and collecting a tidy profit while doing so. Yet, she still longs for a true adventure, one to test herself, her new friends, and possibly some old allies…
Genevieve hasn’t changed much since the Academy. She’s almost come into the whole of her powers, and is far more comfortable with them nowadays. She is still unaware that she will not age further, and only considers herself in good shape because of what she is. Calico still tends to be a bit of a wildcard, though dependable when the time calls for it, while they both continue to keep Cristos on a short leash. She’s been thinking of taking some time off to travel, and this could put her potentially anywhere. She has enough resources to live comfortably, and can obtain almost anything she needs, given time. Calico is a mercenary, and has traveled the world, has many cover identities, and knows a few languages fluently enough. He can be used in any plot that would make him relevant, from contract killing to regular investigative work. However, he is primarily a killer, and makes no qualms about doing so, except around Gen - mostly to irritate her. Cristos never goes anywhere without one of them, and his only current plot point at this time would be rumors that his master isn’t truly dead.
Blurb about the Author and their contributions and comments
Geneviève has always had a passion for the strange and unusual, other oddities of nature like herself and the world she's found herself within. Since her arrival at the Academy, she's decided to formally compile a running list of different stories and legends that may or may not be entirely true, adding different facts she can prove and disprove as she seeks to understand her world.
Some of the other students may have their ideas, and others of course might have intimate connections… Genevieve's collection is by no means exhaustive though, even with the Academy's resources she's barely scratched the surface…
- GENBL1 - Resurrection Mary - "Ghost Hunting"
- GENBL2 - Demon Baby
- GENBL3 - The Prison
- GENBL4 - Legend of the Skeleton Key
- GENBL5 - A Mask of 1000 Faces