A new girl arrives at the Academy while another student's mother breezes in seeking her child… and that mother happens to be a supervillain with power over plants!
Gen's Notes, From Pitch to Close
Jennifer du Pree
the additional info pitch Because Gen’s mother is actively hunting her, she’ll get “pulled” from the school to be placed in protective custody. Her father will use his contacts to put her back (what better place for her anyhow?) however, she’ll have a gov tech headband to block mindscans, otherwise this charade will be too easy. I’m thinking it would either just scramble her basic brain pattern to make it appear different, or just flat block scans like ‘all you can see from her mind is bright light’. This will also aide progressing this story, as I’ll be able to introduce Gen’s mother as the villain. (Gen’s mother is a plant controller, Lucy Sander-Spettro aka Amaranth). After faking her own death, she returned to nature and became a villain of sorts, protecting the environment with harsh penalties for those who defile it. Anyhow, being in protective custody is how the Faculty will be clued in, as they will have to realize the threat and take appropriate measures to assist in her defense, as well as Jason, who would recognize her style as you said. Jason could be clued in by say Dean Henderson, so she has an active and trustworthy protector if there is any field work. This also plays out well, as Jason is trusted and honorable, and would realize the implications of such an assignment.***
Jennifer here is a Gen side-story. As practice for her own activities, I’m thinking Gen would try an alternate identity while at school. For these purposes, Gen would go on vacation or some such, like I was playing an alt in a separate story. For this concept to work, I’m going to have Gen dye her hair (which she secretly dies black, because it’s turning white, due to her powers) Blonde, and act the Valley Rich Girl. I’m going to play off the usual suspects and all who participate, as she’s-too-good-for-you Snob, so her social interaction will be extreme, but I’ll get to avoid any romance dramas.
As for powers, I’m thinking Dazzler. She’ll be Gen, of course, so I’ll have her lightshow skills, and possible illusions, but she’ll play off primarily defensive, and suppress some powers while actively using others. This ties into her illusions: Gen will be practicing maintaining her skills during this time, and will be presenting a different face for this charade. She’ll carry an amplified MP3 player, and will SAY that she manipulates the sound into light. This will help her play off other sound-manipulators, which will lend her some creativity in practice.
Instead of Gen’s white color usage, Jenny will project everything in many hues; this will be primarily evident in her force field, which will be represented by a prismatic wall.
So that’s the theory. I’ll roll up a separate sheet, and play her off as an alt. You and Bio will know about this, so there’s clarity. Others may be informed later if necessary, but it should be a surprise ending. I’m trying to think of other angles that will need to be covered, like the telepaths. Its possible I guess that she could obtain a headband that would mask or change her brainwave patterns to general scans, but I don’t wanna push it too far. Any other ideas?
This comes as a result of Ebel’s asking Maerik and myself about how we set up for these stories. I decided afterward to try and make an effort to notate how exactly this played out from my side, to give you all some idea of how I acted and reacted to the random chaos. I’ll do my best to break down the deciding factors in how the story progressed, while I tried to maintain a progression of plotline. Parts of this are also what I pitched to GORDO, to keep him informed and have him sort flaws with me; also relevant personas were also involved in shaping this plot with me, some clued in, others asked to play a part. From the start, GORDO (Jason) and BioFlux (Carl) were clued in, as I worked out details with them. Also, due to my initial tests with the Jenny / Jessica name, and a great wild shot by Emilydrake, I let him in on the plot :P
Eh, s**t happens, right?
1. Normal day, until ‘Jenny’ arrives
2. She’ll likely have an entourage, and start setting up, building up the student interaction
3. Strange things start happening around the school, mostly minor details like the gardner reporting the shrubs ‘acting strangly’
4. Amaranth (Lucy) will make her first appearance, likely to someone who’d be outside. This would be quick, as she’d just smile and fade back into a tree, arousing suspicions.
5. More odd things would happen as ‘Jenny’ adjusts to the Academy.
6. Now with the students on alert, everyone is looking for Amaranth. And she is looking for her daughter…
7. But doesn’t yet know who she is particularly.
8. Amaranth should then take someone hostage, attempting to bargain for the info. At this point, Jason could clue the others in, and reveal the charade.
9. Final confrontation.
Edited Pitch for Clarity of the Final Product
Jennifer here is a Gen side-story. As practice for her own activities, I’m thinking Gen would try an alternate identity while at school. (This evolved into her mother’s hunt for her, as I already had Amaranth down for a while, and was looking for an excuse to tell another story :P) For these purposes, Gen would go on vacation or some such, like I was playing an alt in a separate story. For this concept to work, I’m going to have Gen dye her hair (which she secretly dies black, because it’s turning white, due to her powers) Blonde, and act the Valley Rich Girl. I’m going to play off the usual suspects and all who participate, as she’s-too-good-for-you Snob, so her social interaction will be extreme, but I’ll get to avoid any romance dramas. (Thus Jessica du Pree )
As for powers, I’m thinking Dazzler. She’ll be Gen, of course, so I’ll have her lightshow skills, and possible illusions, but she’ll play off primarily defensive, and suppress some powers while actively using others. (Only showing uses of her light abilities AS sonic abilities) This ties into her illusions: Gen will be practicing maintaining her skills during this time, as she’ll have to maintain a full disguise at all times, and will be presenting a different face for this charade. She’ll carry an amplified MP3 player (Her Little Toy, mentioned in her character sheet) and will SAY little about it, though its what lets her manipulate her light into sound. This will help her play off other sound-manipulators, which will lend her some creativity in practice.
Instead of Gen’s white color usage, Jenny will project everything in many hues; (her sparkling trail after using an ability or power, representing how Gen’s body leaks light) this will be primarily evident in her force field, which will be represented by a prismatic wall. (And played off as a sonic barrier).
So that was the pitch made to GORDO, and now you know. See school motto.
The plot parts
1. Of course, new girl at school, pretty… Maerik was first on the scene! I expected this anyhow, of course, and had planned an attitude for whatever he said. She’s being snobby here, and of course, Gen knows exactly how Maerik is ;P
2. [He smirked and put out his hand. "What's your name?" ] This was pure luck. I KNEW somehow that Mister Alpha Male would pull an all-american harmless stunt like a handshake. This I allowed Jess to play up, by responding to this boy, who just ran up to a moving van and introduced himself, then stuck out his hand, in front of a school that looks like a hotel….. He’s the bellboy, right? Well, Maer made $20, and inside, Gen giggled. Loudly.
3. Jess hit the foyer, leaving Maer behind, and stepped over a fallen James, who had just bumped into her movers… he almost shot her from behind!
4. Nick’s introduction of Will’s djinn Buchapei was an interesting touch, and I waited for the characters to appear, and see what everyone would do, who would show, etc.
5. Blake knocked over the moving truck… all the ensuing chaos destroying some of Jessica’s stuff. I was like WTF for a while, but whatever, right? He’ll get his later….
6. Seeing that she was being ignored in favor of whatever shenanigans they were already into, she took a deep breath and clapped her hands abruptly: suddenly it was as if all the students near the wrecked truck were whispering through velvet. ((This was Jessica’s first displayed power. It’s basically Gen’s blinding flash power, or force field, modified by Her Little Toy to dampen sound. Waited to see if anyone noted that.))
7. A tear trailed down her cheek, and she brushed it away angrily, spinning and going back up the stairs. Only the strange lizardman and the smoking guy caught the hint of a grin on her face as she brushed past them, a trail of faint, multi-colored sparkles trailing her. ((This was Gen playing up her part. She knew Jessica would make them feel bad, and thereby guilt them into helping. Gen couldn’t suppress her grin, completely convinced someone would bite. The sparkles trailing her, is the same as Gen when she’s out under bright sunlight for a while. When that happens, her skin shed’s light, the excess leaking making her skin paler then normal. More RP flavor, as Gen, wrapped in her hologram, instead released the light as those sparkles, after discharging a power ;P))
8. Blake and Kesler bite, hook line and sinker :P
9. Malana plays a touch jealous with the new girl. Also expected, given as Jess is as expressive as Lana.
10. Her hand to her chin, she said"Only guy I know usually skulking about is… uh… Jim? Jack? J-something… well he's like my roadie, handles overseeing the crew. Anyhow.." she turned and walked in a doorway, "This is me… uh." She stopped just a few steps in, glancing at someone standing in her room she didn't recognize. The black suit he wore was odd, but she only hesitated for a moment.
"Hey, you're one of the greenscreen guys right? We canceled the video shoot, I'm really sorry, but you're not supposed to be here, 'kay?" she moved to stand before Quincy. "So yeah bye now." ((chance to use character sheet, Jess has a roadie :P Quincy in his suit, she mistakes for a greenscreen actor, which he misses.))
11. "I knew you looked familiar." Maerik said as he leaned from the doorway. "I saw you at the Teen Choice Awards Last Year, a little Goody-two shoes for me but I liked it." ((Maerik ran this by me, but after he posted, I thought that Gen couldn’t have assumed this identity for that long. So that’s another evolution on the witness protection angle, the girl is actually a true person, and Gen has taken her place, surrounding herself with people meant to protect her, and the girl has gone on vacation somewhere secluded. With her illusion skills, Gen has no problem making minor differences apparent in her face, her eyes are contacts, and the blonde is dye over her naturally white hair.))
12. Boys can come through here at any time before eight PM. The Academy's rules not mine." ((a lot more flavor text before this, and Alex provides my reason for changing the scene. Easy))
13. Making her farewells as the others got up and took their leave, Jessica closed the door and locked it… right before slumping against the back of it and resting her head in her hands. ((Gen is already unhappy, lying to her friends))
14. The plot thickens Sat morning, and the window gets broken. Punishment is merited.
15. Malana tries getting Jessica out, but Gen knows that she should delay as long as possible, to keep her suntime low. *as not to glow*
16. More flavor plays out, and Maer goes outside. He gets some more info to spread later, and detention for Kesler and a warning for Hoshea :PGlancing over at the clock, Jessica figured she had wasted enough time. She had ignored the earlier knocks in favor of a more timely appearance, and now was merely steeling her nerves.
17. Leaning closer to her bathroom mirror, she sighed. She gave her blonde hair one last careful brush, and then leaned in, as close as she dared. Focusing on her face, she ran a hand down in front of it, trailing sparkles in its wake. Satisfied, she turned to leave.
"Oh crap, almost forgot this!" She turned back and grabbed a plain-looking black headband off the sink, and put it on, arranging her hair nicely. "That could have been a big problem…" she thought. Taking a last glance around, she moved to the door, and headed out. ((headband is an additional defense against mental intrusion, just in case Ron or another tried reading her.))
18. "A regrowing bush..that slapped the gardener…sounds like someone having fun..wait do we even have anyone here who can control plants?" ((hmm. Aint that strange?))
19. We see Amaranth, Lucy Sanders, for the first time. She’s scouting the place out, and limiting herself to natural areas, where she can move with ease.
20. Jason thinks to himself felling snubbed yet again, Yah its OK. Just ignore me, I am the kid without powers after all, its not like experience is worth anything after all.
Instead eh just says, "Um… Yah See you later." ((Jason’s frustration is a perfect segue for Jess to ‘meet’ him, especially as Jason is in on the deception.))
21. Turning her smile on Jason, she asked him, "You look lost, ya know? I'm Jessica, and I'm new here. Think we could find something if we put our heads together?" She even risked a glance back over her shoulder, to see if the others were paying attention. ((Ever eager to play her part….))
22. Kesler shatters a window as Hosh runs up the wall, and the idea of a party takes shape. Just story filler, and a warning from the dean, as well as detention for Kesler, as would happen in school.
23. Dropping in some plot points, and letting the story play out; not much to do at this point, just watch the replies, and note the details in case they need to be used to advance the plot.
24. Jason (Gordo) drops the hint about Machete Day, leading to that legend’s evolution.
25. Plots and Rumors abound! Kesler unwittingly adds some levity to the whole situation.
26. "DUDE! What are we gonna do?! They're setting up some alien welcoming party take over thingy in our school! Probably gonna beam their whole lizard planet right here or something!!"
27. Jess starts dropping hints as to her Gen identity, first to Jason (who knows as is) then to Carl and Giga. This is all based around “her little toy” the device Micro created that was modified to take Gen’s light energy and convert it into sound.
28. The party idea gets picked up on, and as various people ask, I let it all play out, thinking it a good way to get someone kidnapped. Amaranth is looking for her daughter, so it has to be one of the girls… and not Ariel (even if she was there) cuz Carl has enough issues :P
29. Scene changes to the party. More plot stuff here, not too much to pick up on. As this progresses, I’m trying to avoid restating much, and just giving general reference. Anyhow, the party is enjoyed, the King’s Game is played, and the students enjoy the party. Jess makes sure to wear her headband… which doesn’t matter, as Ron doesn’t make an appearance.
30. Malana’s jealousy at this point is almost tangible, but its funny as hell to Gen!
31. Giga and Jess have a heated exchange, as he figures out who she is. This was also discussed a bit beforehand, as previously noted. This just adds to other RP plans of ours, as Gen still owes Micro a debt for her toy, which is now going to be even more evident as a bribe to get the robot to stay quiet.
32. King’s game progresses, plant men attack. This was just a plot device used as a distraction from the main event.
33. Amaranth appears! Who happens to kidnap Alex. NOTE: I ran this by Sam first, to make sure it was ok. NEVER take control of someone’s character, even for your story, without their permission!
34. Combat stuff and plot progression. If ya wish to know how I did the combat, I might cover it in the RP Rules thread for giggles, or here later. I’m just trying to get these notes up first for now ;P
35. Gen finally reveals her façade, once Alex is taken. As expected, some are shocked, and a few are outraged. Oh well, that’s the point, after all.
36. Some explanation occurs, plots are tossed around, and a conclusion awaits till later, as I let the scene play out a bit, and end it when Gen leaves. This is always the general rule, if you haven’t noticed; you control the story, however you need to, while letting it play out on its own.
37. Had to discourage some ideas for finding Amaranth, as it just wasn’t feasible to the story.
38. The next morning starts normally, but after I apparently don’t tell Mageling EVERY step to follow, he unwittingly steps up the time table on me. Oh well, I’ll roll with it, and return Alex.
39. Alex plays her part perfectly, and the group gears up for battle, even with Gen’s reservations. I didn’t want to make it too obvious though, as its just her character.
40. TEAMWORK! Holy crap I was floored. Some really good teamwork was displayed in dealing with Amaranth’s tricks, and I was pretty impressed with TS’s idea, so pending everyone participated (which they did) I gave bonuses to all the set up, for it being well planned. BRAVO.
41. Everyone plays well. Even when some screw ups are made, or attacks didn’t roll well, it played out realistically, I think. Again, bravo to all those involved, as this was a really impressive RP combat scene, IMO.
42. Rio was a pain as always, but things like this add to later stories, as this debt is payed off in H.E.L.L.
43. The plot wraps up as combat plays out. I really just ran with the rolls, and didn’t have a particular idea in mind for getting Amaranth OUT. When Hosh dashed at her, I thought about her Tree Transformation ability, and then with Blake’s roll missing, I used that and fleshed it out a bit to allow for her escape. Sometimes, working with what’s happening is the best solution after all :P
44. Johnathan and Gen get into it a bit here too, with Gen thinking some of the students went a bit overboard. She’s really just confused with all kinds of conflicting emotions, but rather then make it overdramatic, I just filled in what I thought was necessary. I’m sure she and Jon will argue again later, again, as this adds to later stories.
45. Epilogue. This is the Close of the story, where Gen has her final thoughts, and some debts get paid. Just to show that the story has ended, and another story will begin shortly. Yay! I’ll leave this thread up for a couple days just for questions, but the story is over. Then, its closed, and you all will forget it ever happened…. *waves arm like Jedi*